Saturday, January 31, 2009

Khan el Khalili

So today we didn't have class or anything really to do so Kayla, Costa and I went down to Khan el Khalili which is this marketplace in Cairo similar to Chinatown or Englishtown in the respect that it's a huge marketplace, but imagine either one of those times 60 million more people. It's ridiculous how huge it is. Deb decided to stay in because she wasn't feeling too well and Mae was hanging out with her family today so she didn't come either. The 3 of us braved it and took a black and white taxi instead of the yellow metered one because we would have had to wait for about 3 1/2 hours for it, so we just walked out to grab a regular taxi. After flagging one down, we traveled for about 15-20 mins and was there! The traffic wasn't really too bad and we didn't almost kill anyone or thing thankfully.

We got there and was immediately harrassed by multiple people trying to sell us things or trying to get our green cards (LOL) but we made our way through the crowds and picked up a few things. I found a really nice leather belt that I got for 15 LE thanks to Costa's great haggling skills (go Kerry!) which is only about $3 US dollars, and I picked up some q-tips since I forgot mine at home. Kayla finally got her blow dryer she's been wanting and even got a great box to go with it and it actually works really well. So yay for all of us! The market was very amusing with men screaming out "Shakira!" every 5 seconds... apparantly we resemble her in some manner. One man was very honest with us and told us, "I already have a wife, I just want your money". Kerry's gonna make a book of all the hilarious things we've heard so far and publish it and make tons of money.

We had a little trouble finding a cab that knew his way back to Zamalek, but when we did he was really nice about everything and even tried to show and point to us different streets and landmarks on our way back to the dorms. We got back fairly quickly and decided to get some school supplies seeing as though classes are starting tomorrow. We went to Alfa to grab some things and then decided to get something to eat because we were all starving and hadn't even had breakfast. Kerry and I went to get some falafels which were fantastic and 2 of them were only 3 LE which is about .60 cents. Afterwards we just hung out with Kayla and Deb in their room for a little while chatting. After parting for a little while, we ordered some pizza with the girls next door Shelby, Kaitlin, and Alex which was more like cheesy bread but still really good.

I came back to my dorm room after dinner and Skype'd it up with my cousin Aida and my aunt back home which was cool and even got to talk to my dad and grandmother in St. Martin. Everyone is doing well which is really good to hear and it was especially good speaking to my dad after like a week of not talking to him at all! So tomorrow is the start of our classes and I'm supposed to be having one tomorrow but I'm trying to switch out of it because it conflicts with the volleyball schedule here which I really want to participate in. So technically I won't have any class tomorrow but I'll still need to switch that and get my AUC ID card.

No comments:

Post a Comment