Sunday, January 25, 2009

My First Whole Day in Egypt


Soooo... I finally made it to Egypt! After a 13 hour flight it felt so good to stretch my legs and see the country that I would be staying in for the next 5 months. Of course the airport lost my luggage but I decided not to freak out right away and save it for today. Supposedly my luggage is on a flight for today but we shall see how this works out.

Egypt is surprisingly not too different from home. The streets are crowded, the driving is terrible, yet the people are very friendly and accommodating. Of course there is this language barrier between us that I am determined to break down, but other than that things aren't so different. I can't wait to explore more of this city and its culture. Going to the bank this morning to exchange currency, I learned from one of the guys at my dorm that guys are not supposed to cross their legs in a way that people can see their feet or skin because it is taken as a rude gesture and since I seem to be the ONLY person here who hasn't studied Arabic in some form they taught me a couple words today too.

When I came back to the dorms I met up with some girls that I met last night at dinner and a whole group of us went to walk around a bit and grab a bite to eat where I met a couple more people coming from all around the globe. As big as this world is, it never ceases to amaze me how small it is at the same time. I met a guy last night who not only comes from Jersey but lives in the same city and on the same street as my boyfriend!!! Talk about weird...

So all in all, although missing my friends and family, I'm starting to like it here and slowly getting to meet people. I haven't been on campus actually yet but will be tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have even more to write about! Pics coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment